Saturday, June 20, 2009

Random recipes

I love food/cooking blogs (surprise). There are a few I follow pretty regularly, but I also happen upon a lot of others at random. I know this blog is supposed to be for one specific cookbook at a time, but I'm occasionally going to post other stuff I make from recipes I've found online. And the bonus for me is I don't have to type in the whole recipe, just link. Yeah, I'm lazy like that. In fact, here are two recipes that I made just last week, from my other blog:
Summer Squash Gratin
Chocolate Matcha Cake

Today, I decided to bust out my ice cream maker for the first time this summer and make this recipe I've had bookmarked for Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream. How freaking good does that sound?! I absolutely love combinations of sweet and savory, so this is right up my alley.

It's a little bit more involved than your average ice cream recipe since it involves making caramel - twice. It also has to chill for several hours, so I won't be able to churn it until either late tonight or maybe even tomorrow. But so far, I think it's going to be worth all the extra work. The mix tastes absolutely heavenly!

If you've never made caramel before, it's really not very difficult - essentially, you just put sugar in a pan and let it melt, adding butter or cream or whatever. Although, I will warn you that caramel can be a little dangerous. Melted sugar is the culinary equivalent of molten lava - no exaggeration. When I was in cooking school, I actually burned my hand very badly with caramel, to the point where I had to take a trip to the hospital. Not fun. So be forewarned, no matter how temptingly delicious it looks, do not stick your finger in for a taste!

I'll update with pictures and a review once it's totally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment